The last time I shared my progress of the Stitch Story, I mentioned using a Gelli Plate to develop some printed fabric. Today, I’m sharing the results of the first batch of printing. Read back for background re the project.
I wanted to include the colour palette from my developed ‘patches’ and mixed acrylic paint for the purpose. I didn’t have a specific surface pattern in mind but wanted to produce something with a small repeat. I’m using quite small pieces of fabric for my patches so the small pattern is essential. I haven’t developed any patches with my printed fabric yet. I’m thinking they will be a great way of ‘filling in’ small areas of my Stitch Story, with a view to pulling the individual patch designs together and forming a whole piece. Here is a view of how they look with some of the patches:
I’ve done a little more embroidery on the Miss Mitchell image transfer patch but that’s about it for progress to date. My next move is to do a little more stamping on fabric. This technique will give me a line guide for making a new patch. I want to make a patch which includes a reference to Miss Mitchell as a name. I have lots going on in my Stitched Story so will probably go for simple stamped letters. I’ve got a few options re the font I can use and will make some test pieces before deciding. I have used this simple stamping technique already - see the kindness words in my photo (above). However, I do have some fabric stamps which I’ve not tested and would like to check out any advantages. The kindness patch was developed with standard water based ink pads.
There are a number of other patch techniques I’d like to include in this project and will share each over the next week. The techniques will also form a series of workshops I’m leading over the next few weeks. Hopefully, other Makers will test out some of the ideas and we can turn them into tutorials
More tomorrow on the Stitched Story Project.
Thanks for calling in today..