Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 12 March 2013

The Tartan




Hi Everyone
We have a lovely bright blue sky today, still looks 'freezing' outside ! I do enjoy mornings when the sun is shining.

I made a little 'tartan' inspired brooch yesterday.



This is part of the 'the tartan', as the March painting will now be referred to. Last week I mentioned the idea of using 'mind mapping' techniques to develop my work. I have used the technique before (mostly incidental) but this time its a deliberate attempt to use the technique and produce my paintings with an organised and 'deliberate' approach (in my mind). I will also have a documented range of ideas for reference. I do sometimes struggle with this organised approach to 'creating' - often my best work comes from a quick, almost automatic reactions. The brooch is an example of how my mind mapping has captured an idea and worked it into practice.I have a scribbled mind map which has thrown up the idea of doing something which explores the actual creation of tartan by looking at how the fabric of tartan is developed. I've looked at colours and ways in which I can get textures from layering various materials. I have a few other mini projects and my plan is to incorporate elements of them into the painting (if successful). I've also been happy to get back to crochet. I was very pleased with myself when I knew I could make the brooch by simply experimenting with crochet stitches. I must have learned something about crochet during my recent crochet 'obsession' phase. This was the whole point of exploring crochet !!
My second paper bead project has moved on - another element of 'the tartan'. The beads will incorporate some of the weave pattern idea and will give another colour range for the project (eventually).



A third jewellery element is ,of course, my recent silver clay experience.



I need to develop more definite plans for the pendant but the earrings are now complete and Ive worn them several times. The silver material gives a great texture element and shouts 'tartan'.

Here is a quick look at my chosen colour ranges for 'the tartan'. No surprises here !! Many of my usual colours appear !!









I have a few more colour options but I think I will go with the ones Ive chosen here.
Mary Havershams friends (from yesterday) turned up - eventually. I knew I'd done some preparation for these figures but had 'lost' them in my stuff. I spent most of the afternoon looking for them. Although I have moved on my ideas for the 'friends' I did want to incorporate these initial figures.



I will hope to develop these 'friends' today - not sure how this will go.

Must get on.
Bye for today.

Location:Pinewood Drive,Morpeth,United Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment