Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 15 April 2013

Exploring POLYMER Clay




Hi Everyone
Holidays over and back to work today - always a bit unsettling for me. The regular routine had been shelved and we threw away the clock (for 2 weeks). Big change today and the alarm clock was in operation this morning. However, we did it and we are all back to work ! The weather is bright and windy. Clear blue sky with daffodils out in the garden (at last). So 'all will be well' - for the moment.



I've just done a quick review and have failed miserably to update my promises of photos of various events over the holiday.

A variety of issues such as just enjoying the experiences and chat of our family Easter Tea and our holiday (round about Keswick) without thinking about taking my camera, as well as a very poor Internet connection in most cases - ultimately, it got too difficult - I abandoned the photos generally ! However, we had a fantastic time, weather was great and we did some great walking. Our family visits Keswick most years at this time and we tend to do the same sort of things, which is strangely quite exciting ! One of the visits I always look forward to is our Derwent Pencils trip. There is a museum of pencils, a cafe and a shop. We always spend far too much money in the shop but the visit rejuvenates the family drawing and painting interest. We have lunch in the cafe and they provide pencils and lovely little cards to paint on. I always take drawing stuff everywhere (in the hope of art opportunities at all times) but the Derwent visit encourages the boys to get down to drawing and painting. I love them to share this activity with me, especially on the top of the fells. Generally,we had a great time.

I've been inspired by lots of things over the last few weeks and found it quite difficult to pin down my inspiration for this week. However, in the end it is POLYMER CLAY. I've dabbled in clay for a while. My huge problem was 'cooking' my creations. They all didn't quite 'cook' ! mainly because the temperature of my oven didn't stay consistent over the baking time. I have a dedicated small oven with a thermometer and have tried many times to make the oven suitable with various modifications. A few weeks ago, I decided to move the oven to a new situation, away from drafts and easy to use without having to move it - bingo ! It works. So, I'm off again. I need to develop my skills but so far Ive had some pleasing results. I have several books on the subject and have re read and identified some initial projects to develop my skills. You may remember, I did suggest a few weeks ago, making some Fimo tartan buttons. Another few days and I think I can do it. I've done some 'sort of striped' stuff. I've learned lessons about techniques and colours and baking with a few exercises and feel quite confident. I thought I would share where Im going with polymer clay over the week. Just to show where I am, here are a few photos of my efforts so far.


I think the first photo shows my best effort so far.











The photos (collectively) show 2 sessions of 'making' and all the beads use the same clay ie Fimo in pink, orange and brown. I've strung them on some leather and stretch thread for now but I hope to put them with some other beads to make up jewellery. The colours are inspired by Miss Burton (one of my dolls) so I will weave their development into her style. Here she is for reference.



My clay development was focusing on developing the tartan buttons. He is another reminder of the buttons Im hoping to develop. These ones are for sale on Folksy (by Pat Longmuir), sadly,Im not good enough yet !




That's it for today. Looking forward to exploring polymer clay further this week. My 'map' (ie mind map) on the subject is quite extensive !!

Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment