Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Making a Miss Mitchell Brooch


Hi Everyone
It's raining this morning ! and there is a rather depressing 'feel' to the day. I'm hoping the forecast will be right and sunshine is on its way.
Today, is Doll Day and Im looking at making a mini Miss Mitchell. It's long been a dream of mine to see Miss Mitchell as a doll - I'd like to make one suitable for children but that's a different idea altogether. The Miss Mitchell doll of the moment will be a brooch and is inspired by polymer clay (this weeks inspiration theme).
I've recently celebrated my birthday and received a book about making art dolls with some great accessible projects.




This book has given me a way into making an art doll. I've spent lots of time just looking and reading up on techniques. Now, I think, Im ready to 'dabble' in the real thing. It's such an art - my attempt will be experimental but I have high hopes and am aspirational (as ever).
The dolls I would like to be able to make are dolls like these, made by Sarah Strachan. Check out her site for more of these lovely items Here




My dream doll would have a clay face with lots of detail such as the pretty face with the castle.




However, lets get real !!
Here is a quick look at the plan for me - the photo shows my book (present) with the project and of course Miss Mitchell.




The project uses some charms as hands and feet (ordered) and the head in the project is a button but I will use clay. I will make the dress from fabric and am looking for tartan (still not over tartan). I'm really excited about this project and am going to make three dolls - I will be offering one of them in a blog draw. Keep calling in to check the details of how you can win a Miss Mitchell brooch. Hope they turn out well.


Bye for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment