Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 9 May 2013

Coats for insects




Hi everyone
It's rather 'breezy' today - not so cold but looks changeable !

Im sort of 'on track' with my work plans. I've managed to start to work 'smarter' with a new app. I now produce photos and words for my books/publications as they happen. In the past, there have been several drafts written by hand - I do this (handwriting) because thoughts run in and out of my head and Im forever changing points in a graphic style (doodles and arrows etc. - elaborate 'mind mapping') However, Ive found several apps working together can do this too.
Happy Days ! Still, it's early days too.....

Anyway, I worked on my tags (still not complete and nothing to show) and JUST WALKING - I had three little tasks on the paintings and managed all three - minor miracle for me !



Before - photo 1



After photo 2 - Ive given George a bit of a raised body with several layers of painted card, giving a '2d' look. He has an angry eye and I wanted to make him a bit more 'tough' with his armour like 'jacket'. I will add more paint to the jacket but I like the subtle change it gives, especially from a distance.

The second addition is that of a 'metal butterfly' - another symbolic 'strength' thing. There is a hole in the centre - waiting for a bit of bling - to soften the look and also 'show off' the 'power' of the butterfly.
I think the metal gives the painting another detail to catch your eye. Again, when its embedded with the jewel I think it will work well (within the whole piece).



The third element is a bit more tricky. I want to add a polymer clay 'jacket for Cyril ( the other insect character). I did some research on clay finishes and decided to add additional clay elements to the flowers too. Colours are key here and I need to mix some clays to get the right shades of colour. The idea of doing a version of 'millefiori' technique for the clay treatment is appealing. The millefiori technique is a glass making technique that has been adapted to use with polymer clay and is often characterised by flowers.
Im not looking for the look of the flowers (see the photo showing classic millefiori style slices) as such but will aim to use the idea and apply the technique. I will take lots of photos as I go and share my experiments.


Im keen to incorporate the shapes of the flowers (already there) in JUST WALKING. I made these stamps and would like to get the same shape going in the millefiori technique. Im not sure exactly how to do this, so ....... who knows what will happen ? Must get on.

Bye for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment