Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 13 May 2013

Cyril's new coat and ORANGE


Hi everyone
Weather is promising this morning - bit 'breezy' but bright sunshine.
My inspiration this week has caused me some dilemma - I couldn't decide between 'orange' - the colour or a measure scale - a range of rulers ? I use the inspiration idea on Mondays to give me a definite 'pointer' to my work each week. I found a lovely photo with orange brooches on Pinterest and keep coming back to the photo - thinking I would like to make something similar.

I love the textures and the vibrant colour.
However, my other inspiration contender is a new stamp with rulers on it.

I see lots of possibilities for this stamp and its been constantly in my mind since I bought it (last Thurs).
Im not sure why this should be such a problem for me ? I need to get out more ! Amazingly, Ive come to a decision and will go for the orange this week and the ruler next.
Having made that momentous decision - all is well !!
On a more important matter, my book 'FROM SCRATCH' has moved on a league and Im very involved in the detail of what to put where (on the pages). I want to have lots of little doodles etc all over the pages to illustrate how my 'daily journal' works and give a feel of a 'daily journal' within the book. I hope someone will buy it and also doodle and add notes. I want the final product to have this comfortable and 'lived in' idea.
The central idea of the book is to generate 'artmaking' in the widest sense. I use the world around me as well as other people's interpretation of 'artmaking'. I want my little world to reflect the things which we (me and my boys) make from trying and incorporating new things (techniques and experiments) and feeling 'good' about what we produce. Making things, I think, is so important. I do go on about this at length in the book but will stop for today. I like the idea of rotating our family art displays and try hard to incorporate new stuff in new ways for display each week, somewhere in the house. I try an avoid the 'mash' style often created from displaying very small children's art. It's good for its time and vital for establishing love of creating but I want to move us on. Im aiming to give a stylish, almost gallery-like approach - which includes frames etc made specifically for the piece. Somehow this gives the art an important place in our home. When a new piece is created I always want to display it rather than store it away in some archive - to be forgotten.
Talking about creating, I did manage to move on JUST WALKING last week and am concentrating on this work again this week. My current mini project within the painting is producing a 'coat' for Cyril.

My idea was to make the 'coat' from polymer clay. I wanted to find a pattern with texture and the right colours. After much mixing of colours, I made up a clay cane and turned it into a potential material for the 'coat'. Here it is :

I think I like the the first image - each side of the cane has a slightly different look. As I slice the cane, each slice will be different and I will make the decision when I have a few options.


The last picture is a 'swirl' of the colours shaped to Cyril's coat pattern and a stray bead - also made from the clay mix. The clay is yet to be cured. So had better get on with it. You may have noticed the tiny bit of orange in the cane - I do try and stick to my 'inspiration rules' once they have been made. Not sure how I could have got the ruler in ? Say no more !
That's it for today, bye until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment