Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 16 May 2013

Introducing ANNABEL




Hi everyone
A lovely bright and sunny morning today - lets hope it's going to stay this way.

I had quite a productive day yesterday, it's amazing how some days are so easy and others are not, in my creative world. I seemed to achieve order in the home with my 'to do list' completed by about 7pm. I also had a taxi service going on mid evening (scouts) and watched a bit of tennis on tele (on my own without interruption ) !! Not sure how I did this and Ive an idea it's not going to happen today !!!

However, onto other things, my technique focus today is about how I get my dolls onto their backgrounds when I'm making my original paintings.
I sometimes just paint direct onto wood. However, if I want more detail in facial characteristics or clothing detail, I like to draw onto quality watercolour paper. My latest painting will have a name soon but for now Im calling it 'Annabel'. This is the name of the doll I started yesterday. I have the initial sketch here to share.






Annabel was inspired by the stamps I talked about yesterday. I took some of the stamp characters and looked at their proportions and style and adapted some of these to my dolls. Annabel has taken the very long neck - Ive never done this particular thing before - many of my dolls have no neck at all ! Ive also taken very long thin arms and legs - I have used this approach before but Ive usually done either arms or legs. Annabel gets both. I've also used the face shape (the face was the first thing that 'jumped' out of the stamp image for me ) but not the eyes of the stamp characters. Annabels hair is also a bit like one of stamps and gives a bit of a greasy/ 'rats tail' look. The skirt part of the dress takes a spider web hem line which is less 'exaggerated' in the stamp. I like the result. Annabel may change when I paint her but she feels right and is fast developing a character which I can weave into my Papersac community. Here is a quick look at the stamp which inspired Annabel.



I forgot to mention the boots - Ive used these boots rather than my usual very delicate ballet pumps or high stilettos. I like the idea of repeating dolls in different clothes so there will be opportunity to develop another Annabel - perhaps in stilettos, I love her already !!! My colour scheme will be purple,orange (my inspiration of the week) and white/Titan Buff. I think she needs a white,pale face and black hair - this may change.

After she is painted, Annabel will be cut out and stuck down onto the background. I've started the background but am not sure what else should be in there. I started this for another piece of work but its perfect for Annabel.



I like to do lots of detail on the background before the figures go on. I will decide where in the painting they will be so an area is left but I am always wary about spoiling either doll or background, if I don't prepare each well. The challenge is then to embed each into the painting - the biggest task for every piece of work - for me.

Must get on, bye for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment