Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 6 June 2013

Making Tyvek and Paper Beads


Hi everyone
Today it very dull (here) - there is much talk on the radio about fantastic sunshine and high temperatures ! Fingers crossed for later.
I've managed to make my work wish list for this week - better late than never ! I talked, yesterday, about this weeks inspiration ie Hilary Bravo,Artist and making some jewellery using 'new techniques' (new to me). 'The list' is up on the Butterfly Board - so it will happen !

I like to make all my BB notes 'pretty' but I didn't manage that yesterday - I will do more to make my note 'prettier' today. Somehow, my thinking is that if the notes look good, they become more important. It's a state of mind (mine) but it works for me. I think it's to do with spending time and thoughts on the note and 'giving' the note centre stage for a while.
Getting back to my point, I spent ages (last night)watching Hilary Bravos little YouTube videos on the techniques she uses (check out yesterday's blog for links). I thought, I had all the materials and bits to get going, however, I find I don't have any metal leaf - I have flakes of metal which could work but I want to try out the sheets, so have ordered some this morning. In the meantime, I will use the flakes - the whole thing is an experiment and this will add to the experience.
Im not sure why ? But Ive wanted to try out these Tyvek beads for months and Hilary manages to make several beads in the video's (all the videos are quite short) so Im not sure what the problem has been ! Anyway, having got over that one - today is the day. I will take some photos and see what happens.
I found another photos of some of these beads which Hilary has made from Tyvek. This photo gives an idea of the beads for reference.

I think I want to make more rounded versions and Im not sure about colours yet ? I have ideas of a range of blues or greens ?
I also want to get started with some 'toilet paper' beads - my ideas for these beads are to add layers of various materials - I will look at my range of stash and just add/embed into the surface. Perhaps, tiny beads or found objects may find their way onto the beads ? I like the idea of fibres of some sort. The metal leaf material is important to the finished beads and I want to keep them simple. The simple approach is always difficult to achieve well, I find, but it's my aim. There will be mistakes in the beginning but that's OK - Im hoping I can learn what works for me today.
In the unlikely event that I get both ideas underway, I may try some brooch ideas from milk cartons ! I know this sound the most whacky idea but I think I can try something which will work. Thanks Hilary for the inspiration.
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment