Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Pencil Dolls




Hi everyone
The weather is lovely today - bright sunshine and very warm - great !

Today is Mini Project day and Im focusing on the little pencil doll project. Im weaving this into my busy day with The ORDER but have the plan together.

The pencil doll has been a tricky project and Ive been trying to develop a series of steps which allow the basic tasks to take a short time but have flexibility and can be adapted to lots of ideas for developing new characters. Ive produced a prototype after several trial and error attempts. I wanted the clothing idea (dress or suit) to be a simple construction but look professional and be strong. Although the item is not strictly a 'plaything' which is intended to be undone ie dressed and re dressed etc., it does need to stand up to kids 'fiddling' and if its going to be used as a pencil it will need to be robust. My feeling is that the embellishments (whatever they are) can provide features which are ornamental and a bit more delicate.

I mentioned yesterday that I am going to produce a booklet for myself re using micro techniques and Ive started to write little notes about such techniques and tools which are part of the job. Im also deciding (for myself) my own interpretation ie. exactly what a 'micro technique' is and why it's different from any other. Im using the pencil doll to illustrate my techniques and have listed materials, ideas and sources. Ive made a little cover for my booklet - at the moment it's in paper but Im going to turn the cover into fabric (with paper inserts), Im using the pencil doll as inspiration and illustration. Here is a quick peak of the draft cover.



The cover is showing my little doll (so far). Im adding more stuff today and will package her up, ready for sale. I was going to make two dolls for a charity sale on Saturday but I think it's quite a quick job now and may do a few more. I like the result and the item is quite pretty.

On that note, I need to get on.

Bye for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment