Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 2 October 2014

The resilience of polymer clay !




Hi Everyone
Although, I was very busy volunteering yesterday, I managed about 20 mins fiddling with clay (in between clearing up after dinner and being a taxi - I was very pleased with myself).
I wanted to create a cane using an extruder. This whole idea came about during a conversation with some of my polymer clay ladies. I was reminded of a previous project when I produced canes using an extruder.
Yesterday, I used a tiny bit of clay left over from a recent workshop and was surprised at how much 'pattern' I could produce. My ladies would like to concentrate on bead shapes (in future sessions) and Im thinking we could use some of the extruded canes to create some surface designs to cover a reasonably sized focal bead. With this in mind, I'm going to make a few later today.
I also want to develop the bead mould thing, my idea from a few days ago, if I have any time left, I will spend some time on with the metal stuff (I'm ever hopeful I can do so much stuff) . Will share my results tomorrow. In the meantime, here are a few photos of the extruded canes.






The second photo shows the canes as they have been formed into a simple bead. My idea is to slice the pattern very thin and apply to a bead. I haven't decided on the final size or shape - I will just give it a go and see what comes out.






I'm going to put these particular shapes through the pasta machine and see how they come out ! Not sure if the pattern structure will stay when it's flattened ? I'm interested to see.
Talking about the resilience of the material ie the clay. I managed to drop a small piece of clay while managing the workshop earlier this week and it stuck on my shoe. I walked about a bit and several days later removed the clay. After a little bit of soapy water and a bit of shaping, Ive created these shapes.






I'm going to make them into a stud earring. I'm amazed how they made it to this point. I have a serious problem with throwing things in the bin !!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment