Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 20 November 2014

Stretch Bicone Chain Necklace




Hi Everyone
Today, it's day 8 of 12 Days of Jewellery @ thepapersac and the item of the day is a Bicone Stretch Necklace - yes, 'stretch' ! As usual, the technique for making the beads can be found at the beginning of the week (17/11/14) post.

Todays design has come from my attempts at finding a neat and easy clasp idea. My solution this time is to avoid the clasp altogether ! I'm not sure why this causes me so much grief but I do spend lots of time thinking about clasps. I wanted to use the stretch thread idea to allow for a shorter necklace which will go over the head (without the need for a clasp).The stretch characteristic is a great option for this particular design. My design is very easy and will adapt to lots of different beads. Here it is :



The coloured Bicone beads are slightly different shapes and sizes and I've made a simple Sterling Silver chain (will be available in my shop or email me if would like to buy). The stretch thread Ive used is a green colour (0.8) and attached via the chain links. I've used the same knot as I use for stretch bracelets ie surgeons knot. Although the thread is not particularly visible - I like the glimpse of green at the link connection. I've hidden the knot inside the first bead and added a tiny spot of glue to keep in place.


I like the final item and will wear it all day to check how it works for me. I hope you are inspired to make one for yourself or as a gift.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment