Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 15 December 2016

Knitted Bracelets

Hi Everyone
I'd like to share some progress with my latest little knitting project. I was inspired to make some knitted jewellery a couple of weeks ago and had started knitting a bracelet with some beads woven into the knit. However, the fine yarn and several double ended needles as well as beads seemed quite tricky. I am developing the project for new knitters, so have concluded the project as it stands is a bit too difficult - as a starting project. 
I particularly like the bracelet idea so spent yesterday trying different ways of achieving something similar. I've come up with a few ways of getting a similar outcome but in doing so, have completely changed the pattern in almost every respect. 

                              
I'm using a circular needle in my new technique and have knitted the beads in a slightly random fashion. The original project added beads in a solid pattern. I'm adding beads every other row and spacing them between 2 and 4 stitches apart. I'm making a total of 13 rows which should give me a bracelet approximately 2.5 cms wide. The finished bracelet will have some non roll elastic sitting in the centre of the knit. I'm not 100% happy with my method of closing the knit into a circular tube yet. I've tried a Kitchenor stitch but it's not as neat as I'd like and I'm constantly aware of beginner technique issues. I'm considering using a crochet hook to link the stitches ? Will keep going until I get a neater closure. I think it's probably going to be a simple back stitch picking up the live stitch and the cast on edge. I will report my findings as I go.

The bigger plan for this project is to dye some yarn and then use the dyed yarn to knit the bracelet. The colour choices and bead pattern as well as the dye technique will be all part of the project. Our dyed yarn will be wound onto wooden bobbins while the knit takes place.  

                            

The bobbins have been custom made for the project. How exciting is that !!!

Thanks for calling in.

No comments:

Post a Comment