Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Thursday 2 February 2017

Almost there !

Hi Everyone
I'm almost there with my latest spinning project. The hand painted wool roving has turned into a fine single ply yarn and will get plyed together later today. I'll wash it and hopefully be able to start knitting my tunic (read back to Monday for details).

                                 

I'm slightly surprised to see the two half of my spin - together. As I was spinning, the wool seemed to be very similar. When the two bobbins are side by side, the colours are very different. It's going to be interesting to see how the yarn turns out after being plyed.

I've learned quite a few things about hand painting with this project. I did paint the wool in seven distinctive ways, each length of roving started with a pattern. However, I blended the single colours because it seemed there was too much single colour going on (during the spin) and I'm not convinced the other yarn would be too different if I'd randomly painted the whole roving in one batch ? I need more experiments to decide.

It will be very interesting to see how the yarn knits up. My tunic is a good design to show the colours and their dye patterns. I will need lots more yarn so I'm already starting to dye more roving. Let's hope, I can produce the right colours to compliment the first batch. I've decided to go for a range of plain colours taken from this initial yarn batch rather than repeating the batch patterns. I'm estimating, I will need four or five more batches and will choose a range of purple colours, taken from this spin.

Thanks for calling in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment