Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Hi Everyone
Today, I’m sharing my Christmas decoration inspiration for this year. Usually, we (mainly when the children were young) pulled out all the decorations from years past and up they go without too much thought about any theme or design. The kids have now lost interest in Christmas decorations. This year, I thought we would go for something a little different. I’m developing a Christmas HYGGE.
Hard to explain and even harder to pronounce, the Danish word "hygge" (pronounced 'hooga') has exploded in popularity around the world over the last few years. It translates roughly to "cosiness," but it means so much more than that. So what is hygge, really?  Examples of  hygge include creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying the good things in life with good people. The warm glow of candlelight is hygge. Friends and family – that’s hygge too. There's nothing more hygge than sitting round a table, discussing the big and small things in life. So my Christmas hygge it not a decoration theme but more of an atmosphere created by my organisation/decoration of our living space over the Christmas period.
My family are mildly amused by the idea and will probably ignore the plan but it’s giving me a core theme for dressing up our house and helping me to create a cosy and relaxing space. Generally, I’ve kicked out the bright colours of Christmas decorations and have limited my palette to whites, greens and a little injection of red. I’m trying hard to look at how our seating is arranged (to encourage sitting around and chatting/ sharing/doing things together) as well as adding lots more cushions and throws with more candles than usual. I’ve turned to the garden for Holly, Ivy and Rosemary for extra decoration ideas. I’ve also changed some of the curtains to white muslin. All of these things together are chosen to create the calming, ‘clean feel’ of our living space to encourage hygge.
Here’s a quick look at some ideas which could inspire my Christmas hygge :

                       

I’m not quite organised for my hygge and it’s all an aspiration. I’m not ‘beating’ myself up about all this, creating lots of pressure  but my aim is to enjoy and relax and I think it’s worth a try and I’m  enjoying working on that. I may get some images to share the outcome of our Christmas hygge, when I get there. I’ll certainly look back in the New Year, to see if the whole idea worked for me.

Thanks for calling in today



No comments:

Post a Comment