Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 19 February 2018

Another New Project

Hi Everyone
It’s time for another new Making Project and a new craft. This time, it’s ‘embroidery’. The project is almost a practice project, it’s all about understanding stitch techniques and ‘having a go’. 

               

There are lots of possible embroidery stitches but I’m starting with a range of basic stitches which will form a heart shaped embroidered piece. I’m using a patterned fabric for the background with contrasting thread. My first sample uses a pale blue/white fabric. I’ll certainly make another.
This project will be an ‘introduction to embroidery workshop’. I’ve developed a short exercise to develop the embroidered heart in the workshop. The first workshop is tomorrow, so I will share how the Makers deal with the project. We will use an embroidery hoop to create the embroidered heart which will become a frame for hanging the final piece - if all goes well ! The exercise will introduce 12 individual embroidery stitches, practicing how to develop the stitches. Makers can choose which stitches they use and create their own take on the embroidered heart.
I have dabbled with embroidery in my past but I’ve very much enjoying this project, in a new way. There’s a rather satisfying and relaxing result from this kind of embroidery. It’s important to slow down and pay attention to detail. There’s also so much opportunity to add embroidered elements to all kinds of surfaces. I’m finding myself looking at things around me, which could benefit from an embroidered something.

Thanks for calling in today. I’ll be back tomorrow with more news on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment