Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 2 March 2018

Fibre Friday (2/3/18)

Hi Everyone
Today, I’m sharing my fibre work for the week. Considering I’ve been held up in the house most of the week because of major snow in our area, I’ve not got too much to report in terms of finished items ! However, I’ve done lots of work on my From Scratch Sock Pattern. I had finished the socks earlier in the week but the pattern on the leg was not quite right. If you look very hard, the picture story below shows the slight difference in design :

                     

The leg of the sock, just above the ankle line has three welt like sections (in the centre of each coloured band) - I created these welts with two rows of purl stitch. When the sock is worn the welt lies flat, so no problem with an uncomfortable ridge. However, as I started the purl row at each side of the sock using magic loop with circular needles, the pattern produced was very untidy. I repeated a few times and didn’t like the result. Plan B was to start the purl rows in another place, ie. not where the needles needed to be pulled through at each side. However, I still wasn’t happy with the pattern and almost through out the pattern idea. Finally, after re knitting several versions of the whole leg, I’ve decided upon a slight gap in the welt at each side  of the leg. The result is much neater and I think the new design gives a much improved look to the socks. At last, Ive almost finished the written pattern, and only a few centimetres of Stocking Stitch leg and a short 1x1 Rib knitting to finish the socks. I had previously made a 2x2 rib but I do prefer the 1x1fornthis design. I will definitely complete this project in the next few days. I already have an idea for the next one !

My next fibre story is the new fibre from my monthly Fibre Club, The Time Travellers from Hilltop Cloud check it out here. I’m very excited to spin this fibre. It’s a combination of silk, merino and eider. There are lovely muted colours of browns, reds, orange and black in the fibre and it smells very ‘sheepy’. I don’t have an idea of how I can use the fibre or how it will spin but I  feel a ‘need’ to test it out today. I’ll share what happens next time. 

I’m still working on my cardigan from last week, Coinneach by Kate Davies. Look back last Friday for images. I’ve done a little more and am ready to start the second sleeeve. Somehow, my sock project took over. Hopefully, I can make more progress this week. As you can see from the photo, I’ve acquired another cardigan pattern. This is another Kate Davies, the Carbeth cardigan. I love the shape and the colour of Kate’s sample. I’m not sure about what colour I will go for ? - I do have some orange yarn which could possibly work ? I keep thinking about that one !

No crochet again and no spinning to speak of (tiny bit of my big jumper project- read back a few Fridays for more on the big jumper project). However, as mentioned my new fibre from The Time Travellers will get some attention later today.

Thanks for calling in today, I’ll be back on Monday. Have a great weekend.




No comments:

Post a Comment