Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Friday 16 March 2018

Fibre Friday

Hi Everyone 
Before getting into my Fibre news for today, I must mention Edinburgh Yarn Festival. It’s underway for 2018 and I’m wondering why I’m not there ? For some reason, I decided not to go this year ? I’m very envious of all the people talking about their travel plans and the excitement of the whole EYF experience. I was there last year and loved it, so why wouldn’t I go ? Well, I’d decided months ago, I would go to Yarnfest in Cumbria this year instead. That’s about it. No other reason. I’m sort of regretting the idea now.
 However, I need to move on and look forward to June (Yarnfest), it will be great too. A few days ago, one of the photos from my 2017 EYF haul appeared in my Facebook memories prompt and it made me review how I’d used my purchases. To my surprise, the only yarn I’d used is some Coop Knits Sock yarn. So, I’ve got a big bag of lovely yarn/fibre just waiting. This has made me slightly embarrassed but partly rather happy too. All the lovely memories from last year have flooded back and Ive decided I will enjoy Edinburgh via lots of vloggers instead and by rediscovering my 2017 haul.
Moving on .....the lovely big bag of yarn from last years EYF is somewhere in my stash cupboard. However, finding it - is another story ! My fibre storage is very poor and I need to do something about it. My plan is to bring the fibre out of the cupboard and store in some stacking storage bins. My thinking is, if I can see and get access to my fibre, I can enjoy it more. I have a wall which will be a perfect place for the bins but no ‘bins’. I’ve sourced the bins at my local Ikea store and will definitely get things organised over the next few days. My plan is to rediscover lots of stuff from my cupboard, most of which I’ve forgotten about. So, perhaps, not going to Edinburgh this year has been a blessing in disguise !
Back to actual fibre news, I’ve been very busy with the same projects as last week. I’ve spent most time on my Coinneach Sweater (Kate Davies) and have completed the body and both sleeves. I’ve got all the stitches on one needle and am starting the yolk. However, I'm using a small gauge needle to hold all the stitches (organised for working) and need to get a long enough circular needle in the right size before I can continue. I got to this point yesterday, so will hopefully acquire the right needle today. I feel the Coinneach has knitted up quite quickly and am looking forward to the best bit ie developing the yolk. I’ll have some photos for next time.
My other knitting time has been taken up with my latest socks project, the Winter Rose Socks by Helen Steward. This is the first pattern in The Handmade Sock Society Club. I’ve chosen a lovely sock yarn from Natural Born Dyers in Seapinks. The yarn is a beautiful colour and a treat to knit. Here’s a quick look at my progress so far :

                         

I love Helens patterns. Each line is so detailed and I gain confidence with a continuous stitch count, especially where lace patterns are concerned. I’ve not done too much but it does look lovely. Both the colour and the lace pattern work so well together.

Again, to my shame - no spinning or crochet. Despite great plans for three spinning sessions, I’ve missed all three. Next week!

Thanks for calling in today. Have a great weekend. I’ll be back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment