Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Monday 12 March 2018

Stitched Story Week 3

Hi Everyone 
It’s another week of the Stitched Story Project. I’m featuring a range of techniques involved in the Project this week. Today, it’s all about image transfer. There are many ways to transfer images, my method (this time)involves using Modge Podge as my transfer medium. A small photo is covered with a thick layer of Modge Podge, if you’re not familiar with Modge Podge, it’s an all-in-one glue, sealer and finish used to attach paper and fabric to various surfaces. 
The Modge Podge covered photo is placed image down onto a piece of plain cotton fabric and left to dry (overnight). In my little photo story, you can see that I’ve framed an area of my fabric with tape. I’m doing this to limit where the Modge Podge meets the fabric. I want to sew the transfered  image and turn it into a fabric patch. The Modge Podge adds a layer of glue to the fabric and I’d like the fabric to be free of glue in the places where I want to sew. 

The following day, the fabric with the embedded photo is sprayed (lightly) with water. After a few minutes, the white paper backing of the photo can be gently rubbed away. The rubbing needs to be gentle but eventually all the white backing paper can be removed. This leaves an image on the fabric. The image is a little cloudy, so I have painted a thin layer of glaze sealer on the image which adds a slight gloss finish and makes the colours much brighter.
This technique is a very simple but effective way of creating images on fabric. I’m now ready to prepare my fabric image and turn it into a patch -  for inclusion in my Stitch Story.

             

My image transferred patch is not quite a patch, I’m not sure if a I want to frame it with more fabric or attach ribbon as a frame ? I’ll try both methods today and add the patch to the larger piece which is turning into my story.

Tomorrow, I’ll share another technique for the project as well as showing how the story looks to date.

Thanks for calling in today.


No comments:

Post a Comment